Apart from ‘will you direct me’, this is probably the next most common question that we get asked and the answer isn’t as obvious as you might think.
What kind of woman are you?
A woman’s relationship with her body and her lingerie drawer is deeply personal. Some women buy lingerie like others buy shoes or lipstick – in quantity, quality and to suit the occasion. Others prefer to put comfort over aesthetics and there are those who prefer to go commando – each to their own we say. So let’s be clear that there isn’t a perfect, one size fits all, list of the best things to wear for a boudoir session. What matters is what feels right for you and we have styled our boudoir photography sets to offer two very different types of boudoir photos – from light, airy and girly to dark, sultry and fierce. You can choose to focus on one boudoir style or have a mix of the two. Before you start planning it is worth looking at our boudoir galleries for ideas but remember it needs to be right for you.
Things to consider when choosing your boudoir lingerie and looks
For a 3 hour boudoir shoot we recommend that you focus on 3 or 4 different ‘looks’. You can bring more and we will do our best to shoot as much as we can it just means that you might be getting changed a lot!
Here are some things to think about
- Colour: We all love the purity of white lingerie (and it’s perfect for a bridal boudoir shoot) and the contrast of sexy black sets but don’t disregard the beauty and power of a matching lingerie set with strong colour. It can be gorgeous for shots that focus on the face and we can complement lips to really make the images ‘pop’. Do think about nail colour and it not clashing. If you are wanting a variety of colour in your lingerie it would probably be best to go neutral or nude on your nails.
- Bras: Push ups, demi cups or sheer bras are better than full coverage. Do think about the fact that you will also be lying down so make sure the bra fits you well.
- Waist enhancers: Women’s bodies should be curvy and shapely so any lingerie that enhances that is a good thing – think corsets, bustiers and suspender belts.
- Texture: Lingerie can be crazy expensive but the top end designs are luxurious and the materials include silk, chiffon and lace. Soft and feminine textures look and photograph beautifully when contrasted with skin. These days brands like Honey Birdette have introduced a fetish feel to mainstream lingerie and we love the straps and chains vibe too.
- Loose fitting items can be beautiful too: A boudoir shoot doesn’t have to mean exposing lots of skin – sometimes a suggestion of flesh can be just as stylish and sexy. Think cosy jumpers, cardigans, camis, teddies, vintage slips, babydolls and bed socks, oversized shirts or just a simple sheet.
- Heels: Do feature in some of the images – ideally bring a black and a neutral/nude pair. 100% stilettos and ideally the kind of shoes you can’t walk very far in. The higher the better. Try to stay away from platform and wedges for your shoot. Check the bottoms – ideally you don’t want to bring heels that are really scuffed on the sole.
- Stockings: Are definitely great for boudoir. We are not a huge fan of ‘stay ups’ due to the rubber lining which has a tendency to pinch so try and find stockings that are designed to be used with a garter. Generally stockings with a plain top are best if your lingerie is quite intricate and detailed. We like the Maison Close brand which can be found here.
- Jewellery: Again a very personal touch and not a necessity. Jewellery tends to look better in the sitting/standing poses but we can discuss what will work best when you arrive.
- Labels!: Please take the time to carefully remove the labels that can be seen. We are always amazed by the huge amount of labels attached to delicate lingerie!
Bridal or Wedding Boudoir
If you are having a bridal boudoir shoot don’t forget to bring flesh coloured or cream stockings, your veil, garter and your wedding shoes. Many women end up wearing ‘invisible’ underwear with their wedding dress so this is the time to showcase the wedding night vibe that your husband-to-be might be expecting.
Popular Brands for Boudoir Lingerie
Have a look at our instagram account @muse_boudoir_uk for some lingerie inspiration in the Lingerie Highlights.
And if you like leather and chains…MARIEMUR